You saw this topic coming, didn’t you?
The March 2015 issue of Christianity Today asked this question as one of their cover stories: “Should I attend my gay friend’s wedding?”
I admit I did not read the article, so I do not know how Christianity today answered. But when I saw the title of the article, my first thought was, “If you have to ask the question, you are not much of a friend.”
Of course, I know that different Christians have different opinions on this matter. And so for this month’s synchroblog, we are asking to you “come out of the closet” and boldly declare your opinion on some issue related to gay marriage and LGBTQ relationships.
You do not necessarily have to state whether or not you support gay marriage, but we would like you to write a post about something related to gay marriage or the issues that face LGBTQ people in today’s society, or maybe even the questions and issues that Christians face in a society that accepts and endorses LGBTQ relationships.
Here are some possible angles:
- What do you think of the Supreme Court decision to allow LGBTQ people to get married?
- Do you personally know any LGBTQ people? Would they mind if you told part of their story? Maybe something painful or beautiful (or both)?
- The Bible does talk about homosexuality. How should we understand these texts, and how should we apply them today?
- If Jesus were walking the earth today, what do you think He would say about gay marriage and homosexuality?
- If you were asked to participate in a gay wedding, would you do it? Why or why not? This might include performing the ceremony, providing the cake or flowers, or taking the pictures.
- Why do you think the church is so divided over the LGBTQ question? Do you think this division will heal? If not, why not? If so, how?
- Do you think the division between the church community and the LGBTQ community can be healed? If not, why not? If so, how?
You can, of course, write about anything else related to gay marriage and LGBTQ people that suits your fancy.
Please share your link in the comments section of this post by Tuesday, July 28 at midnight. We will publish a link list on Wednesday, July 29 that you will need to copy and paste to the end of your post.
We require two things of all participants who wish to be included in the link list:
(1) Begin your post with a short intro stating that you are participating in the synchroblog and link to this post. Examples: “This post is part of the July 2015 synchroblog on “Gay Marriage”. Or “This post is part of the July 2015 synchroblog that invited bloggers to write about “Gay Marriage”.
(2) Add the link list to the bottom of your post with a note encouraging readers to check out the other synchroblog contributions. We do all of the heavy lifting by putting the list together with all of the links included. Once we post the link list all you have to do is copy and paste. The list at the end of each post makes it easy for readers to move from one post to the other and increases exposure and readership for all of our participants.
Thanks for participating! We look forward to reading your fabulous posts!